Ah yes, I remember it well


I always enjoyed going to the monster and horror flicks as a kid. For about four years we lived a block away from a neighborhood movie theater, the Park, in east Knoxville. This is where I first saw House of Wax, in 3D, no less. I was introduced to the wonderful world of Ray Harryhausen through Earth Vs The Flying Saucers, 20 Million Miles To Earth and, my favorite, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. On occasion my sister and I would catch the bus downtown and see Rodan, Earth Vs the Spider and even turkeys such as The Viking Women. I did have some standards and refused to watch the bargain basement losers like King Kong Vs Godzilla for example. And then we discovered Hammer Films and the great team of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. A new world in glorious color opened up.
Even today I enjoy watching these old movies when I get the chance. I would like the opportunity to see some of Bert I. Gordon's movies again. They were low budget, but fun. I watched The Viking Women last year for the first time since it first came out. It still stinks, but is more fun than the Lee Majors viking epic The Norseman.
I would have to say what these movies have in common is they were made to entertain the audiences. Some of them even succeeded.
It wasn't until the early Sixties that a local channel bought the Shock Theater package and I finally got to see Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, Dracula, Dracula's Daughter (a very unusual movie) and Kharis staggering around in the various Mummy titles. I still watch these when I can and have a great time.
I have a strong dislike for most of the current crop of horror films which tend to lack mood and rely on slashing stupid teenagers.
So, I show my age, but I am happier watching the oldies, even the ones that aren't so good. So, back to the DVD shelves I go to pick out tomorrow's trip into yesterday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End Of Another Chapter

The Magic Is Back

Remembering The Alamo